Saturday, October 29, 2011

growing love

While we were dating I was working as an instructor at a summer camp for youth. One of our activities was decorating a plastic cup and planting seeds in it. I've never had much of a chance to put my green thumb to use so I thought I'd give it a try and planted some teeny tiny basil seeds. I was pretty nervous about it. "Did I do it right?", "Did I plant them too deep..not deep enough?", "Am I watering it enough?, too much?"...All I could wait for was a sign; a peek of green telling me I was on the right track. About a week later I had a Canoe race in San diego. I was excited for my race, but nervous about leaving behind my basil. "Who would care for her in her most delicate infant stage?"

(dum dum dum!...Mitchell to the rescue!)


Mitchell offered to look after her while we were gone and he did a wonderful job. When we left to California my little plant was nothing but a cup of dirt, but when we came home three beautiful little green shoots were popping out of the damp, dark earth. Thus the start of our love basil.


Since its humble beggining, a few changes have taken place. She grew up. No longer a baby sprouting out of the earth, she now reaches tall and proud. To acomidate her growth we had to move her to a new home in a much more appealing red plastic pot. She has enjoyed her new surroundings and continues to grow. She even gave up some of her leaves for dinner the other night (what a treat!)


I won't conjure up a grand comparison between this love fern (I mean love basil) and our relationship for you, but I will leave you with one thought...


Let the love GROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment